The Plan Vivo Stakeholder Meeting 2015 was held on September 28-29, 2015 in Sigtuna, Sweden. The biennial meeting was held a few days after the official adoption of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), also called Global Goals, on the 25th of September in New York City. The SDGs are a global commitment to transform the world into a fairer and more prosperous society by 2030.
The adoption of the SDGs provided a framework for discussions at the Plan Vivo Stakeholder meeting as many projects in the Plan Vivo system are actively contributing to many of the Global Goals on the ground. Ina Porras, the chairperson of the Plan Vivo Foundation, outlined seven of the SDGs to which the Plan Vivo system is actively and directly contributing. These include:
- SDG 1: Reducing Poverty
- SDG 2: Achieving Food Security
- SDG 7: Delivering Sustainable Energy
- SDG 8: Creating Job Opportunities and Sustainable Economic Growth
- SDG 13: Building Resilience and Adaptive Capacity to Climate Change
- SDG 15: Protecting Biodiversity and Ecosystems
- SDG 17: Global Partnerships to Achieve the Goals
The Plan Vivo proposal towards the Sustainable Development Goals are summarised in this Concept Note
Day 2 Presentations
- Ina Porras: The Plan Vivo Proposal Towards the SDGs
- Zeromission: Plan Vivo presentation
- Destination Sigtuna Presentation
- MyClimate Presentation
- Saltå Kvarn Presentation
- Paul Lane Presentation: Resilience in East African Landscapes
- Rebecca Kariuki: Modelling Past, Present and Future Ecosystem, Climate and Human Interactions
- Fredrik Moberg: Using agroecology to help us stay within planetary boundaries
The event ended with the signing of the official "Plan Vivo proposal towards the SDGs", pledging to work together towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and strengthening partnerships to support smallholders and communities in their efforts of making global ecosystems more resilient. The declaration was signed on 29th of September by 58 representatives of smallholders, project developers, NGOs and partner organisations, carbon certificate resellers and carbon certificate buyers.
Find the list of signatories here.
More pictures from the event can be accessed here.